Greetings: we’ve been quiet for a while – but as always, we have plenty going on. Here’s a quick update on our projects and priorities. Please let us know if there’s anything more that we can be doing to help your business. And check out our new online store at www.afrsunstore.com.
Field trip: Nigeria, Ghana, Angola. We recently returned from a highly productive two weeks in Lagos and Abuja, Nigeria, Accra, Ghana, and Luanda, Angola. We’re working on new reports now—stay tuned. Our quick takeaway: all three countries are under pressure because of declining oil revenues, with hard currency in particularly short supply in Angola. Each government is finding its own way of managing through the tight budget environment. All three are working hard to develop the non-oil segments of their economies to reduce their dependence on oil. Now that Nigeria has inaugurated a new president, all eyes are on the yet-to-be-announced cabinet appointments in areas including finance, power, agriculture, petroleum, and industry.
Investor trip: Join us in August-September in South Africa, Gabon, Ethiopia, and Nigeria. We’re building this trip around two conferences (we’re speaking at both): the New York Forum AFRICA, to be held in Libreville, Gabon from August 28-30, and the Africa-Japan Business Forum, to be held in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia from August 31-September 2. We’ll spend time in South Africa at the front of the trip and Nigeria at the end. Space is limited: contact us for details.
Other upcoming events:
- Interested in Angola? Contact us for details of an event on June 29 in the US.
- We will be speaking on investing in Africa at the CFA Institute’s 2015 Financial Analysts Seminar, to be held in Chicago, IL July 20-23.
- November client trip: We'll likely kick off the trip in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia for the Corporate Council on Africa's US-Africa Business Summit, to be held from November 2-5. We may attend the Africa com technology show in Cape Town on November 17-19. The balance of the trip is yet to be determined. We've had strong interest from clients in a November research trip. Contact us if you would like to learn more.
Clients are Looking for Ways to Gain Exposure to Africa: We have seen a surge in new client business lately from institutions and US companies ready to make a bigger commitment to the continent. Large institutions are hard-pressed to put big chunks of capital to work into listed securities—but this is starting to change. On the PAC-DBIA, ASP is particularly focused on finding ways to develop listed vehicles which will be investable by our large institutional clients. We are open to ideas and suggestions to build on the group’s initial recommendations, which included providing technical assistance to spur expansion of African capital markets.
New Service: African Sunrise Partners LLC Online Store. Many of you have asked how you can purchase reports or subscriptions using a credit card—you can now do this on www.afrsunstore.com. We offer discounted rates for smaller firms, Africa-based companies, government agencies, or nonprofit agencies. Contact us for a discount code. And if you purchase individual reports and decide to subscribe within 12 months, we’ll credit you with 75% of the amount you’ve already paid for reports.
Why Become an ASP Client? We Open Doors for Profitable Investment in Africa. We’ve made 30+ trips to Africa, have a seat on the US President’s Advisory Council on Doing Business in Africa, and bring deep knowledge of why Africa matters to international business. ASP’s 50-report research library, advisory services, and speaking engagements help our clients make better decisions for more profitable investments on the continent.
Now is the Time to Sharpen your Africa Strategy. Even if you're not actively putting funds to work directly on the continent, this is the time to build your knowledge. If you run a global portfolio or operate a global business, Africa matters to you already. African markets are growing rapidly and the competitive dynamics on the continent may have broad repercussions for companies in different industry groups.
What Makes African Sunrise Partners Valuable to You?
- We get information directly from our own sources. 4-6 trips/year to Africa, over 30 trips since 2007.
- We bring a global perspective: 30 years’ experience in global equity research, extensive frontier and EM work, massive network of sources.
- Covering sectors that matter to global investors and companies: industrials/infrastructure/power, consumer, agribusiness, tech/telecom, financial services.
- We can save you time and money: our market intelligence offers hard-to-find information based on our own legwork. Commentary on public and private companies, local and multinational names.
- We are connectors. Need to talk to a source on a key issue? Looking for a local partner or insight into a particular market works? We have over 7,000 names in our database—let us connect you to people on the front lines of African business.
Founder and Managing Director
African Sunrise Partners LLC
+1 845 363 4622 (phone, mobile, fax)